As if 6.5 million holiday lights weren’t enough to knock your holly jolly socks off, the 8-story Christmas tree at the center of Joy on Town Square does its part in helping Silver Dollar City represent the wonder and joy that is Christmas. After some poking around, here’s fun facts and secrets we were able to find out about the tree:
1. The 8-story Christmas tree first came to Silver Dollar City in 2019 and is custom-engineered to showcase colorful high-resolution images— such as ribbons, candy canes, ornaments, and garland.
- “We engaged a team of the world’s most-celebrated lighting geniuses to create this just for Silver Dollar City guests,” said Brad Thomas, President of Silver Dollar City Attractions. “Joy on Town Square will include illumination of the Square’s buildings, trees, and landscape, immersing our guests in an even greater Christmas adventure,” said Thomas.
2. The Christmas tree project cost 1.5-million to bring to life.
3. One can actually go INSIDE the tree – but that is off-limits to guests!
4. Old Time Christmas holds the three-time title of the “Best Theme Park Holiday Event” in the nation by USA Today’s 10 Best poll with a nomination for 2021.
5. The SDC Christmas tree is custom designed by a team of experts and features thousands of LED lights and images which are programmed to move along with a selection of Christmas tunes every night.
- Silver Dollar City Director of Publicity, Lisa Rau, said there are two songs in each 15-minute show: “The 2021 song list is a team effort of selection between Entertainment managers and leadership (everyone has favorites to suggest!). We can program new selections each season.”
Light Show Song List for 2021:
Carol of the Bells – David Foster
It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Andy Williams
A Christmas Scherzo – Boston Pops Orchestra
Christmastime – Michael W. Smith
Joy to the World – Faith Hill
Halleluja Chorus – Handel, Performed by Boston Pops
Rejoice with Exceeding Great Joy
When the festive lights and holiday music all come together, “Joy on Town Square” becomes a truly immersive and memorable experience for guests during the holidays —Scrooge or no. “Town Square is the entry portal where guests step into a holiday wonderland. With this stunning icon, the traditions and legacy of Silver Dollar City will meet state-of-the-art technology,” Thomas said. “Joy on Town Square will be another ‘must-see’ attraction, making an even bigger & brighter nationally-acclaimed event,” Thomas added.
*An Old Time Christmas® Presented by Humana® runs Nov. 6 to Dec. 30, 2021*
This 2021 year, Silver Dollar City Will Have:
- 1,000 Decorated Christmas Trees
- Over 600 Wreaths
- 15,000 Yards of Ribbon
- 3 Miles of Garland
- Over 6 Million Lights ( That’s over 680 miles)
More To Know About An Old Time Christmas®
1. Rudolph’s Holly Jolly™ Christmas Light Parade occurs twice every evening.
2. Weather permitting, SDC roller coasters and rides will be open until after dark.
3. An Old Time Christmas has been profiled as one of the nation’s top holiday destinations by USA Today, CNN Travel, The Travel Channel, Good Morning America, The Weather Channel, Wall Street Journal, AOL Travel, Yahoo Travel, Southern Living, AAA Midwest Traveler, MSN.com and Mainstreet.com.
4. A variety of holiday food will be available to guests, including savory dishes and desserts like turkey, dressing, apple dumplings, ginger cookies, prime rib, and fresh-baked fruit cake.
5. Silver Dollar City will have several Broadway-style productions to see this year, including A Dicken’s Christmas Carol, It’s a Wonderful Life, and Home For Christmas ( which is new this year).